The Potential of Reiki To Support Health
In this article series viewing Reiki from differing perspectives, we look at viewing Reiki from a health perspective. By law in the UK all natural therapies have restrictions on reporting the results we observe with our therapies, especially regarding to improving health. So in relation to the topic of Reiki and helping people from a health perspective be aware we have a narrow window of issues we can claim Reiki to be beneficial, so this article is written being mindful of this reality.
Any claim of an improvement of health will quite rightly attract attention from government bodies which were put in place to protect the public from misleading claims in the area of health. Claims of any health benefit by any therapy can also gain the attention of companies, organisations, or individuals with an emotional or financial attachment to a different belief system or treatment approach. That said I am witnessing an increase in more open minded medically trained professionals who are starting to appreciate the value of more integrative approaches to health utilising natural therapies and we welcome such progressive thinking from such individuals.
Reiki is used quite extensively in hospitals in the USA due to it being more established and more widely accepted there than in the UK at this time. Applications include: specific post-surgery recovery, to generally speed up recovery and reduce the time patients need to stay in hospital. The value of Reiki is increasingly being recognised for applications such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
Many of the benefits from viewing Reiki from a wellness perspective also have benefit from a health view such as lowering stress levels. Just from a physical view lowering chronic elevations of cortisol (the primary stress hormone) is going to help physical health whichever way you look at it. In Japan Reiki has been traditionally used extensively for all kinds of conditions, including illness and physical conditions. However, from a legal and professional position in the UK, a more conservative presentation of the merits of Reiki in regard to health is more appropriate in the current climate.
For a start the positive effect Reiki can have on improving people's sleep is a key way in which Reiki can positively support someone's health. There is an array of now accepted disease and health problems that poor sleep patterns are considered a contributing factor. In addition the effects Reiki has on reducing stress also warrants strong consideration of the merits of Reiki in the context of improving health also.
A point to consider when looking at Reiki’s use within a treatment plan for health or with a medical condition is regarding the timing or stage of disease development when someone might look to Reiki to help them. It is almost always after diagnosis. Indeed in many situations it is only after all allopathic, or conventional treatments have failed that someone looks to natural therapies. This is very different from evaluating the value of Reiki in a pro-active approach to building health, or at least as an integrated, holistic approach with other professionals, be they natural or medical based.
Eastern systems of medicine have always recognised that we live in a world of energy and that the free flow of this energy is the foundation of well-being, facilitating the body’s natural healing ability. From an eastern view of health, an emotion may be driving a physical problem: for example buried anger from a past emotional hurt, say from a past relationship, or from childhood, might manifest as energetic disruption, or stagnation of energetic flow in the body, so we might utilise Reiki in assisting healing of the deeper emotional root cause of such an issue, this could have potential impact towards better health as well.
In my previous professional career as a coach building people’s health, I observed this correlation of energetic imbalances and an individual’s health profile with my clients. I specialised in building health, via natural/ holistic methods, as a holistic health and lifestyle practitioner and exercise conditioning specialist for many years. To witness the patterns in energy disruption, past/present lifestyle and their current health problems, was all the evidence I needed as to the merits of Reiki.
It is sensible to suggest that it is from a proactive view of health that Reiki might have the greatest influence to a person’s, or even a population’s health. Again very hard to isolate all the variables and measure to statistical significance under scientific measures, however it only takes a little understanding of natural health and Reiki to see the potential.
I have always worked in an integrative fashion with other professionals for the best outcomes for my clients and I continue to do so. I find that all areas of emotional well-being, nutrition, physical activity, posture, happiness in life, environmental toxicity among other things all need consideration with regards to health. I would say that Reiki can have a very powerful part in that mix, especially in the root causes of imbalances. In the context of this article I am talking about emotional healing as well as Reiki's effect in stimulating clearance of energetic tensions, stagnation and blocks to support the body's natural healing mechanisms to work correctly.
So to conclude, the potential of Reiki to support someone’s health is from a variety of angles, primarily, improving sleep, reducing stress, helping someone to be calmer, as well as emotional healing/ wellbeing. Reiki will likely be best used in conjunction, or in support of a medical team, or other health professionals, yet it is an application of Reiki as a natural therapy that can easily be overlooked.
If you found this content helpful, why not share it with friends
About the author, Shaun Mckeown: could be labeled as a performance strategist, or coach, or a life balance specialist. In essence Shaun is a strategic, creative problem solver, with a holistic view. He has over 15 years professional experience helping people with health, well-being, sport performance, reducing stress and life balance. He has a BSc.(Hons) degree in Sport and Exercise Science, as well as experience coaching and teaching in exercise conditioning, holistic lifestyle and nutrition, sport performance and Reiki. So has both science and holistic perspectives.
The information contained above is provided for information purposes only. The contents of this article are not intended to amount to advice and you should not rely on any of the contents of this article. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the contents of this article. Shaun Mckeown, disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on any of the contents of this article.
- Jun 28, 2019 What is Jikiden Reiki Jun 28, 2019
- May 16, 2019 Why Taking Advantage of Repeating Jikiden Reiki Training at Reduced Course Fees Could Be A Good Idea May 16, 2019
- May 2, 2019 A Guide to Finding The Right Reiki Course & Teacher May 2, 2019
- Apr 1, 2019 10 Benefits of Regularly Attending Reiki student Workshops Apr 1, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 Reiki Frequently Asked Questions Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 6, 2019 What is Reiki? Mar 6, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 The Importance of Viewing Reiki as an Ongoing Practice Mar 1, 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 A Guide to Finding The Right Reiki Practitioner for You Feb 19, 2019
- Feb 1, 2019 Is Reiki Really Fluffy? Feb 1, 2019
- Dec 3, 2018 10 Benefits of Learning Jikiden Reiki- For Those Already Trained in Reiki Dec 3, 2018
- Nov 2, 2018 Using Reiki to Help Children Nov 2, 2018
- Aug 8, 2018 Viewing Reiki from a Healing Perspective Aug 8, 2018
- Jul 9, 2018 The Potential of Reiki To Support Health Jul 9, 2018
- Jun 4, 2018 The Value of Reiki For Your Well-being Jun 4, 2018
- May 27, 2018 Jikiden Reiki: A Powerhouse for Reducing Stress May 27, 2018
- May 14, 2018 Viewing Reiki From A Personal Growth Perspective May 14, 2018
- Apr 12, 2018 5 Ways Reiki Can Help Improve Your Sleep Apr 12, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 Reiki: The scientific Debate Mar 12, 2018
- Feb 23, 2018 7 Ways Reiki Can Help You Reduce Stress Feb 23, 2018
- Feb 12, 2018 Using Reiki for Relaxation Feb 12, 2018
- Oct 4, 2017 Viewing Reiki from a Spiritual Perspective Oct 4, 2017
- Jan 4, 2018 3 Ways A Simple Natural Law Can Help Us In Our Lives Jan 4, 2018
- Jan 1, 2018 3 Tips To Ensure Your Efforts To Lose Weight Are Not Wasted Jan 1, 2018
- Nov 15, 2017 What Does Health Mean to You? Nov 15, 2017
- Oct 17, 2017 What We Can Learn About Balance and High Performance From Athletes Oct 17, 2017
- Sep 26, 2017 Why Sleep is Vital For Health & Performance Sep 26, 2017
- Sep 13, 2017 Warning: What You Need to Understand About Stress Sep 13, 2017
- Sep 1, 2017 What is Life Balance and How Does it Relate to Performance? Sep 1, 2017
- Aug 10, 2017 What Elite Sport can Teach Driven People About Recovery for High Performance Aug 10, 2017
- Aug 1, 2017 Why a Focus On Time Management Will Keep You Busy For Life Aug 1, 2017
- Jun 24, 2017 Has Health Insurance Got it The Wrong Way Round? Jun 24, 2017