The Value of Reiki For Your Well-being
In this article we look at the value of Reiki purely from a wellbeing perspective. This article looks at well-being in Forthcoming articles will discuss Reiki from a health, healing, as well as a personal growth and spiritual perspective. I will share my insights into Reiki from each perspective and invite you to consider how Reiki might enrich your life. Although each article will focus solely on one area or perspective, please remember to view Reiki not just from an isolated application, but from all perspectives in a holistic fashion.
The merits of Reiki are commonly communicated by the Reiki community at large from a well-being perspective. The reasons can be many, for example: it is the easiest way to explain Reiki to a person unfamiliar in natural therapies and energy work and for the public at large to comprehend it; also natural methods of building health via natural therapies are not integrated into society in the western world. Society is conditioned to think and view the merits of any therapy solely from a quantitative, analytical, scientific view which, by default, means that the value of any natural therapy is taken from how it fits into the criteria, method, limitations, capacity of measure of modern science. Reiki, by its very nature, doesn’t lend itself easily to this compartmentalisation.
The attitude of the established allopathic, or mainstream medical community and the central government policy position on natural therapies play a key part. There are subtle shoots of change in some quarters, where the application or integration of Reiki as a therapy has gained more appreciation in differing situations, where its results, rather than its ability to be measured, have won through. I think this situation will improve as more medical professionals see the value in integrative approaches involving professionals of both medical and natural fields to best support their patients.
In addition, from this well-being perspective Reiki is tolerated/enjoys partial, and increasing acceptance from the main stream medical community and those controlling policy regarding public health. So, it is only natural that Reiki has positioned itself from this well-being perspective, where it can survive as a professional therapy and will be best understood, and have the ability to help the public.
Under this well-being perspective we might list benefits of Reiki as: enhancing relaxation, improving sleep and reducing stress, with Reiki treatments providing a calmer undercurrent in daily life resulting in less agitation or anger. Other benefits are a general feeling of being less burdened with the challenges of life, and a person feeling more at peace within themself, improved mental clarity and sharper decision making can also be viewed in this category.
In reality many of these benefits transfer into other perspectives of Reiki, such as better sleep and reduced stress levels translating to the health perspective also. All the above benefits can have a profound effect on a person’s life, yet I would suggest this perspective to be the most surface layer of what Reiki really is and to what degree it can enrich a person’s life. It is in this context that most people experience Reiki and as such draw their conclusions of Reiki, however this is commonly without a full understanding of what else it can offer.
There are occasions, however, where viewing Reiki solely from a well-being perspective can be helpful to a person. For example, a person may be in great need of reducing stress, or improving their sleep, yet this person might initially struggle to comprehend anything that is spiritual/ metaphysical in nature - just from it being something new, or the fact that they are very analytical in thinking and only used to dealing with things that are easily measurable. In this instance it might first be appropriate to ensure Reiki is the right natural therapy for where this person is in their life at this time. If it is, then it might be helpful to the person to just view Reiki from a wellbeing view, until they see the results and become more open to its true nature.
So in conclusion the value of Reiki for our well-being can be to re-charge, provide space, calm, mental clarity, reduce stress and aid relaxation in our busy lives. With the study of Reiki (attending a Reiki training course) these benefits can be developed in a deeper way, however from receiving a Reiki treatments, which tends to be peoples first experience of Reiki, I find it can support a person’s well-being very well indeed.
If you found this content helpful, why not share it with friends
About the author, Shaun Mckeown: could be labeled as a performance strategist, or coach, or a life balance specialist. In essence Shaun is a strategic, creative problem solver, with a holistic view. He has over 15 years professional experience helping people with health, well-being, sport performance, reducing stress and life balance. He has a BSc.(Hons) degree in Sport and Exercise Science, as well as experience coaching and teaching in exercise conditioning, holistic lifestyle and nutrition, sport performance and Reiki. So has both science and holistic perspectives.
The information contained above is provided for information purposes only. The contents of this article are not intended to amount to advice and you should not rely on any of the contents of this article. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the contents of this article. Shaun Mckeown, disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on any of the contents of this article.
- May 16, 2019 Why Taking Advantage of Repeating Jikiden Reiki Training at Reduced Course Fees Could Be A Good Idea May 16, 2019
- Apr 1, 2019 10 Benefits of Regularly Attending Reiki student Workshops Apr 1, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 The Importance of Viewing Reiki as an Ongoing Practice Mar 1, 2019
- Feb 1, 2019 Is Reiki Really Fluffy? Feb 1, 2019
- Dec 3, 2018 10 Benefits of Learning Jikiden Reiki- For Those Already Trained in Reiki Dec 3, 2018
- Nov 2, 2018 Using Reiki to Help Children Nov 2, 2018
- Sep 4, 2018 Viewing Reiki from a Spiritual Perspective Sep 4, 2018
- Aug 8, 2018 Viewing Reiki from a Healing Perspective Aug 8, 2018
- Jul 9, 2018 The Potential of Reiki To Support Health Jul 9, 2018
- Jun 4, 2018 The Value of Reiki For Your Well-being Jun 4, 2018
- May 14, 2018 Viewing Reiki From A Personal Growth Perspective May 14, 2018
- Apr 12, 2018 5 Ways Reiki Can Help Improve Your Sleep Apr 12, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 Reiki: The scientific Debate Mar 12, 2018
- Feb 23, 2018 7 Ways Reiki Can Help You Reduce Stress Feb 23, 2018
- Feb 12, 2018 Using Reiki for Relaxation Feb 12, 2018
- Jan 2, 2018 A Guide to Finding The Right Reiki Course & Teacher Jan 2, 2018
- Dec 19, 2017 A Guide to Finding The Right Reiki Practitioner for You Dec 19, 2017
- Nov 28, 2017 What is Jikiden Reiki Nov 28, 2017
- Oct 31, 2017 Reiki Frequently Asked Questions Oct 31, 2017
- Oct 6, 2017 What is Reiki? Oct 6, 2017
- Sep 27, 2017 Jikiden Reiki: A Powerhouse for Reducing Stress Sep 27, 2017
Well-being & Performance
- Jan 1, 2019 3 Tips To Ensure Your Efforts To Lose Weight Are Not Wasted Jan 1, 2019
- Oct 4, 2018 3 Ways A Simple Natural Law Can Help Us In Our Lives Oct 4, 2018
- Mar 26, 2018 Why Sleep is Vital For Health & Performance Mar 26, 2018
- Jan 24, 2018 Has Health Insurance Got it The Wrong Way Round? Jan 24, 2018
- Nov 15, 2017 What Does Health Mean to You? Nov 15, 2017
- Oct 17, 2017 What We Can Learn About Balance and High Performance From Athletes Oct 17, 2017
- Sep 13, 2017 Warning: What You Need to Understand About Stress Sep 13, 2017
- Sep 1, 2017 What is Life Balance and How Does it Relate to Performance? Sep 1, 2017
- Aug 10, 2017 What Elite Sport can Teach Driven People About Recovery for High Performance Aug 10, 2017
- Aug 1, 2017 Why a Focus On Time Management Will Keep You Busy For Life Aug 1, 2017